Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock


I'm surprised to find that coming home to America was much more of a cultural shock than going to Nepal had been. It was like I had lost the ability to function in American society. There were so many things and choices and I just couldn't keep it all straight or process the overload of information that I hadn't really noticed before. Just to learn to ignore things again was so difficult. I've been back about seven weeks now and I've remembered how to function (mostly), but some things about America still confuse me. 

I'm incredibly busy, with a job and various projects, so much so that I can avoid thinking about Nepal very much. When I slow down long enough to let thoughts of Nepal back into the forefront of my mind, I find it hard to breathe and get strange chest aches. I miss it too much to think of it often. I also avoid thinking of it since thinking of that world while living in this world is incredibly strenuous. The simple fact that both realities can exist at the same time just boggles my mind entirely. It's been really nice, and needed, to see my family and friends and also nice to indulge in things like baking a cake and going to the library and having central heating in my house but I'm sure that in another month I'll forget again that not having those luxuries is possible. 

All I know for sure is that 
1) I'm going to college in the fall to become more educated about how to change things, now that I have a better idea of what needs changing
and
2) I'm going back to Nepal at some point. I'm in love with that country and those people and there's no way I can stay away for long. 

If you've read this much, wow. I'm impressed. I hope you've enjoyed the chronicles of my adventure. If you ever have any questions on Nepal or volunteering or anything else, feel free to email me- tarynlindsay@gmail.com. And if you're looking to make donations to a charity that is entirely good-willed, reputable, will use all of the money for children in need and is trying to build a school for the 140 orphans already in its care, I suggest Nepal Orphans Home. http://nepalorphanshome.com/


Namaste!
Taryn






\

No comments:

Post a Comment